Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mental Math tips

Like most on this blog, this post is long overdue. Last Monday, I wanted to do a mental-math-minute type post about adding 8's and 9's, but after thinking about it, I didn't want to do anything that was a shortcut without addressing how to develop number sense. I thought about all of the background information that I deemed helpful, and this long video became the response.

In this video, I give ideas on how to develop a good number sense, share where to find some manipulatives, and show some strategies toward doing math mentally. If you want, you can skip straight to the strategies.

Now, this video is far from perfect. I didn't have a script. I make plenty mistakes and obscure noises along the way, and the volume's a bit of everywhere, so be prepared to turn up and turn down. Still, I hope that the information shared is valuable and worth any adjustments.

For Even Smaller Sums

If the things in the video are a little too advanced for your little one find addition tips for numbers 5 and under here:

For Sums 6 - 10

At the time of the above video, I was considering making another video for addition sums from 6 - 10. I probably won't, but just briefly, this is the order I would do to get me through.

  1. The info from "Getting Started With Math" video.
  2. Play games (make them up) to solidify addition facts to 5. Use abacus when playing games.
  3. Use your fingers and the color coded abacus to learn your "5 and's..." (5 + 1 = 6, 5 + 2 = 7, etc.) to 10.
  4. Represent "5 and's..." in all possible ways (fingers, tally marks, abacus, sticks, etc.)
  5. Partition 6 into all of it's parts. Use the abacus to begin.
  6. Do the same for the remaining numbers to 10
  7. More addition games using abacus when necessary.

Thanks for checking out this blog. Hit me up if you have questions or comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment