Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Revamp Failure

The last two weeks were stop and go. I like to research things to a tee. This is beneficial, but for me most of the time it's a problem. It's a problem because I often find myself looking and learning and knowing, but never doing. This has been the case for the last few weeks. I really wanted to make sure that what we were doing was helping her to be well-rounded.

In the past, I really liked some of the Charlotte Mason curriculum suggestions. My daughter and I were supposed to do the nature science curriculum, but didn't get very far. I recently returned and really like the selection of classic books/ readings. I really like the way that language is used in classic books. The only thing I don't like about classical education is the hint of racism. Culture helped to ready Europe for what she was to do to the rest of the world. Those everyday symbols that accustom people to act like savages in the name of Jesus are present in some of the literature in the Classical period. Moreover, I am not a believer that all things this period are the standard. While classical music is great, I do not share the belief that it's the best music the world has ever heard.

All that being said, I still think that with some tweaking CM with some adjustments could be a great model for a well rounded/ complete curriculum. I don't agree with all of CM's ideas. Waiting till a child turns six to read? Only if you're going to homeschool through 1st grade. My advice would be to teach your child to read before sending them to anybody's school. The way a lot of schools teach reading is like unto osmosis. For some students this works well, but a lot of students go lacking in the reading department because they really haven't had sound teaching in reading. I am a strong believer that kids as young as 2 1/2 can start learning to read. Give your child what she is willing to receive.

So I returned to amblesideonline.org checking out CM's first grade curriculum. Usually in reading I would go straight to the third grade curriculum, but the language is a little more advanced than everyday 1st grade curriculums and fits perfectly for us. What I am most excited about is adding Spanish. I chose Pimsleur. All I do is let her listen, and then we practice the conversations every other week. We spend about a two weeks on one lesson. We work about 3 days a week. She's pretty decent.

Anyway I went through a lot to make sure all the materials were collected and mapped out my whole month, but quickly learned that it was too much. It is very rewarding work, but we've had to lay back just a bit. My revamp basically turned into a no-vamp. I'm going to relax just a little bit and just work her extra hard during the winter and spring breaks. She is my world. I might as well enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment