Sunday, January 19, 2014

Facebook Wives Club

Hello. My name is Faith, and I am currently being initiated into the Facebook Wives Club.

In the past, I chuckled when I have seen wives post "Happy Anniversary" or "Happy Birthday" to their husbands on Facebook. Don't you live with him? If he's not around, wouldn't it be more appropriate to call him? Send a text, maybe? Don't you have his direct number? What if he doesn't check Facebook for a week? It's even more weird to me, when wives/mothers wish happy birthday to loved ones who are not on Facebook. It's obvious to me that these exchanges aren't for the husbands, but for the public, and thusly, I've shied away from them.

Even more odd to me is the Facebook prayer. You would think that some people only meet Jesus on Facebook. While I understand the power of corporate prayer and how easy it is just to push the post button on Facebook, some people think that every morning they're supposed to share a prayer with the world, or better yet, post how sweet time was with Jesus that morning. I'm not saying it's wrong. I just sometime wonder why people do what they do.

To each his own, but to me, my conversations with my husband and the Lord are intimate. I don't need to broadcast to everyone every time I have an intimate session, or every time we go out to eat, or every time my world is rocked in the bed room or in the prayer closet. I'm reminded of the scripture where Jesus advises his disciples to do these things (pray and give to the needy) privately. I am in no way condemning those who do their daily Facebook prayers. Please do whatever it is you feel is right. Please follow your own convictions. I'm not against it. Aside from occasional corporate prayers for public situations, it's just something that I don't yet understand.

1 Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. Matthew 6

I am a Facebook user, but my idea is that it's for people I don't see often, people I don't call. I basically post lots of things about my daughter because it's an easy way for loved ones to keep up with her. It's also a public journal of sorts. I do understand people sharing their personal views. This is not to make anybody feel bad. I probably share way too much on Facebook. If there's something I want people to know, however, I just announce it as such. For example, instead of saying "Happy Birthday" to my daughter who is too young to be on Facebook, I'll post that I'm thankful to God for giving me such a beautiful daughter 7 years ago. You see how I got God in there, but I didn't pray to him on Facebook.

So how is it that I am now being initiated into the Facebook Wives Club? It's happening quite coincidentally. Firstly, I have been living separately from my husband for a little bit. We're preparing to move from VA to GA, but he's keeping his job until everything is done. I am staying at my father's house, which is closer to the new home in GA.

Simultaneously, my husband is becoming more and more familiar with Facebook. He was never interested in it before, but for some reason (maybe he has time on his hands because we aren't there) he's on Facebook more.

But for whatever reason, I am becoming a Facebook wife- full of exchanges on Facebook with my beautiful husband who has been a wonderful provider and partner throughout the whole ordeal. I'm wondering when we tackle the final straw of this move, if things will go back to normal. Who knows? But for now, being a Facebook wife isn't so bad.

What do you think? Will I be joining the Facebook Prayer Club next?

No comments:

Post a Comment